Since the advent of the automobile, measures to organize travel arrangements have been gradually introduced. It is always a balance between promoting access to driving for the greatest number of people, promoting mobility at an ever faster pace to go further and further, and the need to control the potential consequences: accidents, injuries and deaths.
Road safety measures implemented over the past 2 years :
- 9 January: CISR meeting
- 1 July : 80 km/h limit on two-way roads outside urban areas (90 km/h for overtaking slots).
- 24 July: Decree combating the lack of motor third party liability insurance.
- 17 September: decree following the CISR concerning in particular:
- increased sanction for taking a prohibited or counterdirected direction without interception, including by video-verbalization,
- authorization of the departmental prefect to restrict the right to drive against a driver who has committed an offence related to driving under alcohol for the purpose of driving vehicles equipped with an approved electronic alcohol interlock device,
- additional penalty of prohibition to drive a vehicle that is not equipped with an approved electronic alcohol interlock device when driving under the influence of alcohol,
- definition of the communication of information relating to employees (category and validity of driving licence)
- introduction of a sanction for the transport of overcrowded occupants in a vehicle,
- increase from 4 to 6 points withdrawn in the event of non-compliance with pedestrian priority rules.
- 1 January: ban on tinted windows (more than 30%) in front of cars; obligation for company managers to report the driver who committed an offence with a company vehicle, under penalty of a fine; removal of the power restriction on new motorcycles and authorisation to unblock motorcycles (new or used) equipped with an anti-lock braking system (ABS) (following the transposition into French law of European Directive 168/2013)
- 23 January: 4th mandate of the CNSR for the period 2017-2020 (4 new commissions - see report card).
- 28 March: Decree issued for the application of articles 495-25 and 706-111-1 of the Code of Criminal Procedure authorizing the consultation of the file of insured vehicles during the automated speed control.
- July 1: New features and installation of vehicle registration plates for two- or three-wheel vehicles or a motor quadricycle.
- 25 October: Order amending the Order of 11/4/2011 fixing the amount of the fee due for the provision of information from the vehicle registration system.
- 3 November: Decree on various measures: Experimentation of automated reading of license plates to fight the lack of insurance; county prefects may prohibit driving in the event of negligence or refusal of medical examination of fitness to drive within the prescribed period. Enhanced cooperation between law enforcement agencies/municipal police against drink-driving.
For measures taken in previous years, please download the document opposite (in French)